Glasshoughton Welfare AFC

Shirebrook Town - 3/9/05
Recent News
Late news 2005
Feb 2005 News
Jan 2005 News
Dec 2004 news
Nov/Oct 2004 News
200 Club
The Players
League Table
Goalscorers - 04/05 season
Goalscorers - 05/06 Season
Under 19's

NCE Premier Division
Glasshoughton Welfare  0
Shirebrook Town          1
Glasshoughton's early season results are beginning to follow a familiar pattern as they dominated most of the game, created and missed gilt edged chances and conceded a late goal to end a generally frustrating week.
The game got off to a spectacular start with Shirebrook attacking strongly and forcing a hurried clearance from full back Liversedge which ricoheted on goal to force a spectacular save from Tom Morgan. Seconds later the ball was at the other end and a superb cross gave debutant David Cooke the opportunity to mark his first game with a goal - sadly his close range header flashed the wrong side of the post. Soon after Carl Fox went close with a snapshot and a lack of cover allowed Shirebrook a chance which went well over Morgans goal. The tempo of the game increased and tempers flarered resulting in a rash of bookings on the half hour mark. Football resumed and though the tall Shirebrook central defenders were commanding in the air, the home team was having some joy on the flanks and good work from Cooke gave Danny King a great chance which again flashed past the upright.
The second half saw the intoduction of Darren Leech for the injured Paul Arkle and a lethargic Glasshoughton were indebted to keeper Morgan who made a brave save to deny Shirebrook in the opening minutes. Gradually the home side took control of the game with Leech and the impressive Ricky Bennett exerting an increasing influence and after determined work by King, the visitors defence was in tatters but Cooke's half hit shot came back off the bar. On 75 minutes the unlucky Leech took a heavy knock and had to be replaced by Julian Wilkes who was to play a major role in proceedings. His first involvement was a run on goal and the visitors keeper did well to save his excellent shot. Shortly afterwards, Wilkes , King and Cooke all had chances to score as the ball bobbled around the Visitors six yard box. Glasshoughtons woes were increased on 81 minutes as Shirebrook scored from a corner much against the run of play in what was a one sided second half. Wilkes forced another reaction save from the away keeper in the last few minutes but the final whistle left manager Ash Fieldhouse to reflect on the chances that went begging in the first half.  

 "The Blues"